Sunday, July 4, 2010

Track #4--"Nookie"

"I did it all for the nookie
C'mon
The nookie
C'mon
So you can take that cookie. . ."
 ~Limp Bizkit

"Hi, my name is Jen and I am addicted to nook."

"Nook? You mean, like, sex?"

"No, not nookie, the nook e-reader! I guess it sounds like it, doesn't it?"

It has been almost two weeks since I finally gave in and bought Barnes and Noble's e-reader, and I am definitely glad I did except that distracted me from writing for that week. For the first week, there were no 6S blog posts, no submissions, as I spent most waking moments glued to the nook. Before you give me the bad mother award, these were all moments when he was engaged in other activity: racing his RC car with dad or practicing his guitar. I do spend time with the boy, and occasionally, the husband. I even (gasp) let the boy use the nook a time or two.

Since I am going to be doing a lot of e-reading this summer, I thought I would recommend some summer reading for all of you ebook and non-ebook readers alike, including a few on my wish list.

Here are the books I have read/am reading and the ones I am ready to download next.

READ:

1. Warning---Shameless Plug ahead
The Mysterious Dr. Ramsey 
Edited by Thomas Knox
This is a fantastic flash fiction anthology put out by 6S writers. You may even know one or two.

2. Best Friends Forever 
by Jennifer Weiner
Although I read this last summer, I love the story of Addie and Valerie. Weiner's characters are always well-developed and make you hope for a sequel. BFF is a little bit of Thelma and Louise and the perfect summer read.

3. The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
by Rebecca Skloot
I am only halfway through this book, but the story of an African American woman whose "HeLa cells" changed the world of medicine is a study of ethics and humanity that is part scientific study part biography, and compelling with every turn of the page.

4. Hello, Summer Vacay
by Bolton Carley
Yes, Summer Vacay is written by one of my close friends, but it is a perfect YA verse novel for students and adults alike. Told from the perspectives of a teacher and her student, Mrs. H. and Brianna both are uncensored in the words, not telling us what we want to hear, but what they are really thinking in this humorous real verse novel.

5. Heart of the Matter
by Emily Giffin
I just started reading my library copy of Giffin's newest book, and I know it will be a fast read but the first few pages reminded me of conversations I've often had with myself about letting go of silly things and understanding that I am one of the lucky ones. I look forward to reading more.

NEXT (on my wish list):
5. Thin, Rich, Pretty
by Beth Harbison
Harbison is one of the best "chicklit" authors around, and her personable interaction with fans has made her one of my favorites. Last year's Hope in a Jar was delightful, and I am ready for this July 6 release about friendship, weight loss, and tragedy.

6. My Fair Lazy
by Jen Lancaster
It's Jen Lancaster; what else can I say? Jen's memoirs are hilarious, and I hope this one lives up to the uncontrollable laughter I experienced while reading Such a Pretty Fat.
Bonus! It's a lendable nook book!

7. When the Game Was Ours
by Larry Bird, Ervin "Magic" Johnson, and Jackie McMullan
See? They aren't all chick books. This book was released in November 2009, but I've always been fascinated by the friendship by these two adversaries and basketball greats. (Also lendable)

8. Medium Raw
by Anthony Bourdain
I love No Reservations, and Bourdain has such strong voice in his writing. I am looking forward to the followup to Kitchen Confidential. I am adding the debut to my list as well.

Feel free to plug your own writing or list some of your favorites in the comments section.

Enjoy your summer reading!

5 comments:

  1. Barbara Kingsolver's The Lacuna should provide several interesting hours, and leave you reflecting on the nature of celebrity and deception versus anonymity and naivete. The ending is haunting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I highly recommend "Let's Don't Go To the Dogs Tonight" by Alexandra Fuller. It's her autobiographical account of growing up within a somewhat dysfunctional family in Africa. And if you haven't already read it, do give Kingsolver's "Poisonwood Bible" a read, which shares a similar setting described by multiple voices. You'll thank me for both of these.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the recommendations! I love Kingsolver; her work is amazing. I haven't read _The Lacuna_, so I will add it to my list along with Fuller's book. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love BFF!!! I'm excited for her new book to come out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm trying to read The Lacuna right now, but I'm struggling. If the ending is good, then I'll persevere.

    Enjoy your Nook! I know I am!

    ReplyDelete